Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Homemade is Best - Thoughts of Christmas' Past

I gave a speech last week at Toastmasters about "Thoughts of Christmas' Past".  I shared a few of my favorite memories of Christmas growing up on the gulf coast.  I used an old Irish Proverb that stated "If you seek a thing, you find something different."   In the speech I talked about a few traditions like our annual Christmas concert at the foot of the stairs or in front of the Christmas tree. It included songs and playing instruments for a crowd of two, my parents.

I shared how my parents sometimes made gifts that were more special than anything store bought.  A couple of those bigger than life gifts were a push car and a sailboat.  The push car was made from the canopy of a WWII fighter aircraft.  My dad attached it to a plywood base, put two wheels in the back and a joystick steering handle in the front. It was painted bright sunshine yellow and had two seats and tin can jet engines painted black with red exhaust inside.  We took it down by the Municpal Auditorium, on a street (8th St. I think, by the Players Theater) that had a small hill where we could ride at the speed of sound (the sound of GLEE that is). Back on our street the neighbor kids lined up for weeks anytime we brought the car out just to push it up and down Temple St. for a chance to get in and steer it themselves.

The sailboat, was "the thing that we sought but found something different".  I think it was the year I was in 6th grade. We had finished opening presents which with 5 kids leaves a living room looking like a christmas wrapping explosion. My Dad asked the question "Is that everything?" which immediately clued us in to the fact that there must be something else.  But like the proverb stated, we were looking for "something" only to find something else.  We were looking for something in the wrapping paper choice of that year. Instead we found something unwrapped but very revealing. There,tucked away behind the christmas tree and slightly covered by the living room drapes was a rudder. Now my brothers and I were in a sailing squadron and knew what it was immediately. But why was a rudder in our living room? That took longer to sink in.  My Dad asked us what it was and we told him, however the game went on. "Why is that in here?" he asked with that Bob McLeod grin.  "We don't know"  was our response, as wonderment captured our thoughts. "Well", he said, "what does go to?  "A sailboat" we quickly answered.  "Well do you see one in here?" he replied?  "No Sir", we answered back.  "Well you better look around then".  Of course by now we knew the only place a boat could be was outside.  We ran to the front door and as we threw it open, there stood the "Snowflake" in all her majesty.  My dad had rigged it and put the sail up as it sat in the front yard. I remembered we jumped up and down with sheer delight.  the boat While not made completely by my Dad, was painted and rigged by him. It was painted white and had the name painted in ice blue lettering on the prow and the square bow had a beautiful geometric snowflake design.  we sailed that thing up and down Sarasota Bay for 7 or 8 years.  And I don't remember now what finally became of the boat. But was it ever fun!

Homemade was special to me. It really does show that someone took the time and made the effort to give a one of a kind gift.  We all appreciate someone working hard to make a decent paycheck to buy us nice things, but when they make something, design something, craft it just for you...well, that is special!

What special Christmas memories do you care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment